Enter into the life of Drew (pray hope that you don't become obsessed over it...)

Welcome! This is my blog about lessons that I have learned! Hopefully, you'll take something out of this. If not, then that's your own fault, and possibly a bit of my own.

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Tip # 10

Tip # 10: Mistakes can be a great teacher.

I struggled with this tip. I really did. But you know, I'm not the only one who did. There are many others, even now, that don't appreciate who they are, either due to mistakes they've made in the past, mistakes they are making now.

Mistakes are a fascinating little paradox. They are our building blocks and at the same time, our stumbling blocks. Yet the tendency towards all is to focus upon how mistakes are the stumbling blocks in our lives. To the perfectionists, it is particularly discouraging because we (yes, me included) try so hard to be perfect and every time we fail, the more we begin to loathe, even hate ourselves. This is particularly dangerous, because this feelings quite often lead to self-misery and sometimes depression, because we cannot reach our goal. We often question "why," "what am I doing wrong," and "what's the point." For those of us who aren't as strong in religion, we question our Maker and even go as far as blaming Him for making you as you are, instead of something like Hollywood-ized men and women. But really, the mistakes that we make should not be seen as stumbling blocks. No, in fact, they should be seen as the complete opposite. I know what you're thinking. "Psh, this guy expects me to see mistakes as building blocks. Is he daft?" But speaking from experience, I began to see why I should see them as building blocks. There is a particular quote from a show called How I Met Your Mother that I am particularly fond of. One of the main characters, Lily, is talking to Ted, the other main character, about making mistakes. Be warned, this is a little bit difficult to follow.

Lily: There are certain things in life where you know it's a mistake but you don't really know it's a mistake because the only way to really know it is a mistake is to make that mistake and look back and say, "Yup, that was a mistake". So really, the bigger mistake would be to not make the mistake because then you'll go your whole life not really knowing if something is a mistake or not. And da[rn] it, I made no mistakes. I've done all of this: my life, my relationship, my career mistakes-free. Does any of this make sense to you?
Ted: I don't know, you said 'mistake' a lot.


You follow this? For those who don't, essentially Lily is saying there are moments that will be the ultimate life changing factor. If you don't take that step, you'll never know if that moment would've been worth it.

I have looked back upon my life and I noticed a pattern involving the mistakes I've made. They have all led me from Point A, to Point B, to Point C, and so on and so forth. If I have never made those mistakes, I wouldn't be where I am at now. I wouldn't know the things that I know and I wouldn't be able to help others with the knowledge that I possess. Each mistake taught me something important. It sure as heck may not have seemed like it at the time, but looking back, there are lessons that have been given.

My suggestion to you: Look back at your mistakes, failures, and blunders. Instead of cringing at the memory, look and find a lesson. Figure out how that mistake led you to where you are now, whether it be a happy mistake or a...not so happy mistake. You'll most likely have a startling epiphany.

-250

No comments:

Post a Comment